Holocaust Educational Trust

Hello all,

I was chosen (luckily) out of 600 of my college to do the Holocaust Educational Trust programme, it's basically to raise awareness for the cause and there will be a trip to Auschwitz in mid-April. Anyone going on this trip or have heard of it? From what I know, they only do it in the UK but I may stand corrected.

If anyone's doing this programme, feel free to contact me :)

Comments

• Just be respectful and don't take anything back with you from Auschwitz, treat it as you would a cemetery. Some UK college students picked up some buttons from the ground there last year and took them back and now are facing trial in Poland and have also been fined.

Otherwise it will defiantly be an enlightening trip I think it is defiantly a great opportunity.

• I think they changed it this year so tht only 2 people that are interested in the subject can go to avoid issues like that. (Per school)
    Otherwise I'm definitely looking forward to it, it'll be an amazing experience and good inspiration for any writing I may do afterwards.

• I live near Dachau, which is basically Auschwitz for political prisoners
    Some nasty stuffs here too

• Remember reading about Dachau in a poem recently, can't quite remember who by now. Sylvia Plath maybe?

Very interesting subject.

• Well, I am halfway through my awesome journey! On Monday we went to a seminar in South Quay, London, where we listened to Rudi Oppenheimer, a Bergen Belsen survivor, speak of his story. He is a very interesting man, and I'm very honoured to have spoken to him :) I also got 2 signed copies of his brothers book, who got an MBE from the Queen for his works. If you're interested in his story, I'd suggest going to meet him (wherever he may be) or buying his brothers book (which is pretty much the same as Rudi's story but slightly different due to age difference and such) or you can contact me and I could give you a brief summary!
    Yesterday, however, was the main part of the trip. We left Stansted airport at 5am to go to Krakow. We spent the day until 6pm visiting various sites of significance, like the Jewish cemetery in (bear with me for the spelling of this) Oswiecim and then later Auschwitz I and II (Birkenau). The sites were all amazing, beyond what you can see in photos. It was an amazing experience and I advise everyone who wants to go there to do so. :) I do have some photos that I took if anyone would like to see them, I also got into my local paper because some journalists were there.
    http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/suffolk_students_learn_of_the_horrors_of_concentration_camps_during_poland_trip_1_4496021

• I was a part of a project called the Tolerance Project. Its basically a project where we went to a meeting every Wednesday for a year and then took a to Poland and went all around the country visiting the massgraves and deathcamps/labourcamps. For me it was a very interesting experience and I would recommend anyone who is in the slightly interested to visit at least Auschwitz/Birkenau. Its important that we remember these events and never let them happen again but to do that we have to educate the people.

• In german visiting a KZ is a standard for schools as far as i know( I was in Hadamar with my school class).
    Its a depressing mood in there.

• Nice for both of those, guys!
    The Tolerance project seems very interesting! Any idea where they operate?
    And although it is a depressing mood, I feel it is necessary for people to understand what happened and to learn from it! :)

• @T5 Lacey said:
    Nice for both of those, guys!
    The Tolerance project seems very interesting! Any idea where they operate?
    And although it is a depressing mood, I feel it is necessary for people to understand what happened and to learn from it! :)

Right now The Tolerance Project only operates in Sweden as far as I know. I am really hoping for it to spread to other countries though. I personally feel like it changed my life in a significant way. Heres hoping more people get to experience such a powerful historic journey!