Arma 3 Nvidia Setting Suggestions.

Right so ive seen a few having FPS problems and just wanted to share the base settings you should apply to get you started with stable or better FPS. these are nvidia setting for your graphics card only.

DISCLAIMER:
These settings will not work for everyone and in some cases may decrease performance. Before adjusting any settings it is advisable to make a record of the current settings so you may revert in the event the changes have a negative effect.
Also, read the entire thread to get feed back from others.

This is for NVIDIA Graphic cards (ATI /INTEL) check for same settings. It seems there is a problem between the software that controls the Geforce chipset and Arma3. This has become more noticeable with the new Nvidia drivers 354.72 and the Arma3 1.58 update. I tried the setting with the new Nvidia drivers first, but had the same issue 4-5 fps after a few minutes in the game. So I downloaded the 362.00 drivers from Nvidia (there is a post on the forum about slowdowns after a few minutes with latest drivers) and to my surprise was getting 63 fps when I joined and a solid 50+ while playing. I wanted to posted this right away but needed to test it with different settings to be sure I was on the right track. After 5 days of trying these setting on all the different Arma3 missions, maps, and even with 15 mods loaded. I was still getting 45 fps+ online.

FIRST Uninstall the Geforce Experience as it's a resource hog, and not needed. When you install new Nvidia Driver, do a custom and uncheck the boxes for it along with the Audio if you don't use them.

Right click on desktop and open the Nvidia Control Panel
1.Go to 3d Options and click on Use the advance image settings
2. Click on Manage 3d Settings
3. Click on Global settings. We are going to change the setting here first which means I'm going down the whole list.

Ambient Occlusion: performance
Anisotropic Filtering: Application Controlled
Antialiasing: ON
Antialiasing - FXAA: ON
Antialiasing - Mode: Application Controlled
Antialiasing - Setting Application Controlled
Antialiasing - Transparency: OFF
CUDA - GPUs: ALL
DSR - Factors: OFF
DSR - Smoothness: OFF
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: Use the 3D Application Setting
Multi-display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration: Single Display Performance Mode
Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
Shader Cache: ON
Texture Filtering: ON
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization: ON
Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias ALLOW
Texture Filtering - Quality: High Performance
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: ON
Threaded Optimization: AUTO
Triple Buffering: OFF
Vertical Sync: OFF
Virtual Reality Pre-Rendered Frames: Use the 3D application setting

1. Click on Program settings, then check the box (Show only applications on this computer box) Once it refreshes click on the drop down box and pick ARMA3 (arma3.exe) from the list. Next we are going to change some settings here for the game itself.

Ambient Occlusion: performance
Anisotropic Filtering: Application Controlled
Antialiasing - FXAA: Not supported for this application (ghosted out)
Antialiasing: Gamma Correction - ON
Antialiasing Mode: Application Controlled
Antialiasing - Setting Application Controlled
CUDA - GPUs: Use global settings all
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: 1
Multi-display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration: Single Display Performance Mode
Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
Shadier Cache: Use global settings (on)
Texture Filtering: ON
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization: ON
Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias ALLOW
Texture Filtering - Quality: High Performance
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: ON
Threaded Optimization: ON
Triple Buffering: OFF
Vertical Sync: OFF
Virtual Reality Pre-Rendered Frames: 4

Close everything and start up arma3.

Comments

• Good stuff, Pvt. I'll take a look at this myself when I get back in the saddle.

• edited April 2016

@"Pvt. McConville", Could you add the link to the source for this information please?

I wouldn't expect too much of a performance increase as Arma 3 is very dependent on the CPU, not the GPU. I would say, if you have suffered some performance decrease immediately following the 1.58 update (and hotfix today), then give it a try; otherwise, don't hold your breath for a miraculous FPS boost.

Although, I have my fingers crossed and will be trying it out. I hope for miracles too but I will not be surprised if this does absolutely nothing to improve my FPS.

Edit:
    Reading the change log from the Arma 3 1.58 hotfix that was released today I see that BI has fixed the performance issue that was introduced in the 1.58 update. This is more likely what was causing the performance issues.

• Oh no ive no problems with my rig boss (980ti i7 4.2 processer)lol

these are just some settings for those with min to low end trying to get a good benchmark on the game, i use them before with a 560! but they are pretty common knowledge infact these setting just came up again in a recent post on the steam forums wer a guy tried to say he had a BIG fix for arma 3 FPS then it turned out he had just found these nvidia settings for the first time and didn know they were out for ages, he made a big song and dance on the forums and got some heavy bashing for it lol here's the post he made with the settings, he was pretty dumb but I thought I would grab them and share in-case anyone didn know about it. http://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/0/364040166668327483/

• It's a shame we don't have an office that deals with game related issues and fixes that you could've posted this in.
    Nevertheless, good stuff.

• yea wast sure were to put it.

• You just made my day McConville :D

• Personally I would not take any other advice in tweaking Arma 3 except the in-game settings. I did that once and ended up running the game at 10-12fps
    Let's not take into account the fact that my rig is anti-Arma (AMD based) because I was getting solid 35-55fps during drills. Chief has a point, Arma runs solely on CPU, because on my GPU there are 6 LEDs that indicate how efficient the GPU is running, and most of the time it's the CPU that was bottlenecking the game

• edited April 2016

Thomas, it is a matter that everyone has to experiment with on their own to find what is right, though I like you tend not to mess with the control panel. Core i7 ftw.

A disclaimer might help in the OP :D

I have actually heard that running on lower settings relies more on the CPU, and therefore using higher settings will shift the strain from the CPU to GPU.

• yes, some low settings IN-GAME are WORSE then high, if you research the config' setting you'll get LOADS of advice online about that. but I can say having had a very low card before (560) and using these it really helped, now days its full bore all the way with my new beast lol