D-Day

Hello 29th,

So I have been thinking...
During The D-Day landings, over 3,000 people were killed in the space of a few hours across a small beachhead. Not only that but the allied forces of the time were made up of conscripts. The part that shocked me is when you think of the lives of the men on the landing craft or in the paratroop regiments - People who have never had any experience of war being forced to run to their almost certain death, these men had been forced away from their homes, each with their own hopes and dreams, smart, intelligent men with bright futures ahead of them being forced into a meat grinder. Loud. Painful. Terrifying.
Why do I bring this up?

1) It's Memorial Day and I feel we should all take a moment to think about what it's like to run towards machine guns in open ground with no escape from hells teeth.

2) The bravery was unmatched to today. I feel that now, very few would have even tried to move up the beach. Would you be able to?

3) This group is based on an infantry regiment that served in D-Day.

This isn't really a 'discussion', it's more just something to think about.

Thanks,
Pvt. Holdaway

Comments

• where did you find those casualty numbers?

• It was a typo, I meant 3,000.

• Are you just meaning Omaha beach? Because across D-Day an approximate 6000 (This is a very rough figure) soldiers died,
    Allied and Axis, but aside from this civilian deaths were as high as 1000 bringing the total death toll to around 7000, as well as this casualties that would prove fatal in the following days and weeks would raise this number by an unknown amount.

But aside from all this, yes Bravery was running high that day but one has to think about the eastern conscripts fighting for the Germans who didn't want to be there, such as Polish, Ukrainian and other captured Soviet soldiers.

• @"PFC Tomkinson" said:
    Are you just meaning Omaha beach? Because across D-Day an approximate 6000 (This is a very rough figure) soldiers died,
    Allied and Axis, but aside from this civilian deaths were as high as 1000 bringing the total death toll to around 7000, as well as this casualties that would prove fatal in the following days and weeks would raise this number by an unknown amount.

But aside from all this, yes Bravery was running high that day but one has to think about the eastern conscripts fighting for the Germans who didn't want to be there, such as Polish, Ukrainian and other captured Soviet soldiers.

Agreed, the bravery of our own soldiers should not be the only thing we think about.