My story continues, and validation of 29th as a reenactment society

Hello. Not sure if anyone still around will remember me. I was a soldier in the 29th ID for 2 years, if I remember right. Gained and maintained the rank of Private, First Class.
The 29th was a good thing for me. With the help of those I met, and using the rank and order system of the 29th ID, I managed to pull myself out of alcoholism, and onto a better path. Broke through the anxiety I had and allowed me to do other things I wasn't able to do before.

I left the 29th what seems like a very long time ago. I still miss it every day. Sometimes wish I could afford to upgrade my computer and connection and jump back in, get involved in what you do. Be part of that machine and that group of friends again. Unfortunately don't really have the time.

After leaving the 29th I found I was slipping back again into how I was before, but I got involved in other, more local, activities. I feel like I'm doing OK now. Not rolling in cash, but I have plenty of friends.

A few months ago I joined a large international dark age Britain reenactment society. Got a couple of commanding officers, I suppose you can say SL and ASL, shouting at me in person rather than over TS. Doing well as a warrior I think. Learning practical skills I missed out on as a child - putting up tents, cooking over a fire, etc etc. A lot of martial arts stuff too. Though now I fight with a spear and a shield rather than via simulations of a BAR and M1 Garand. lol
I mentioned to my new CO that the 29th ID is a thing that definitely lead to me ending up with his group. He says that when it comes to history you do the best you can, and a digitally simulated reenactment is probably getting closer to WWII history than the guys who parade around wearing £2000 uniforms can currently manage.

I suppose that is a validation, from an Anglo-Saxon officer to a WWII officer, if you want it.

For my part I thank the 29th ID. Without this group I would never be where I am now. The 29th ID taught me trust and companionship and I have been able, upon leaving the group, to use what I learned here to better myself.

Salute

Comments

• The 29th stuck with me through some of my darkest hours (Get it? I'll see myself out) and I'm very glad that day I turned on Facebook to see PFC Cervetti's post about the 29th
    Without these guys I wouldn't even know where I'm at right now

• Hey Bannister! Good seeing you here! I'm glad everything is going good for you in life right now. I hope you can upgrade your PC in the future and re-apply to the 29th. Good luck out there!

• Long time Bannister! Good to hear from ya and hear you're doing well! :) Miss ya bud!