Chromebooks

Been doing some browsing online for chromebooks. I'm looking at getting something separate from my main PC to do school work on, take notes, write papers, do research, etc. Unfortunately I know nothing about them and the specs they list for each laptop surprise me quite a bit. I'm going to be making this purchase at the end of summer, so once again, not knowing this specific market, I'm not sure what the trends are.

Need something light, mobile, and durable. Max Price, no more than 300 USD.

Comments

• I would be a cheap laptop, possibly refurbished with a warranty. The Chromebook will just disappoint and cause aggravation with lack of popular apps such as word (Office online kinda sucks). If your budget is max $300 then you may just want to spend the extra cash. Have you ever used a Chromebook before? If you can be productive on it then you may want to go this route to save money.

Cheap Laptop link: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100006740 4018

• I'm pretty sure Chromebooks run ChromeOS (Atleast that's what they used to run.) It's based on Ubuntu Linux. So if it runs ChromeOS don't expect to be able to run any Windows Software out-of-the-box. When I was looking at purchasing a laptop (back in 2013) I looked into the Chromebooks but I needed Windows as the OS not Linux/ChromeOS. So I ended up buying a Gateway NV77H off QVC for $300.. So if you're looking for a cheaper laptop that is running Windows, as Cpl. Wood said def. check out his link to Newegg. I've purchased numerous parts (New and Refurbished) from Newegg and have always been happy.

So in short, If you don't care/need a laptop running a Windows Operating System then a Chromebook will work just fine.

• I myself got a Acer Aspire Switch for about 300 USD for school. It is not the fastest PC, but with a mini SD card for more space it really serves the purporse. It is easy and light to transport, with a detachable screen which makes presentations easy. A great addition for school I would say, but it seems like the price has gone up.

• I'm not too worried about running apps to be honest. Most of everything I will be doing will be on google drive. This isn't going to be a gaming thing at all and I don't want it to be. I want to avoid laptops largely for their weight. Plus I have no desire dealing with a second device running windows.

• So I guess in short, what are some of the good chromebooks out now that would be considered favorable by those within in the unit and for what I want to do with it.

• Here is a helpful thread http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413071,00.asp
    Shows comparisons of the latest and greatest.