Photography Thread

A lot of my Platoon will already know, but I'm a very keen photographer. Just got my first paid shoot today, so I guess I'm now semi-professional. I'd love to see if there are other photographer's (amateur or otherwise) in the unit, so we can use this thread to discuss photography, cameras, contacts and post some of our work. :)

I know for a fact SSgt. Bergstrom likes to take a snap. There must be more of you! Regardless of experience or quality.

Comments

• edited April 2015

Here's some I recently re-edited in Adobe Lightroom. Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions :)

Mountain Town

enter image description here

• Some fantastic photographs there 2Lt. I love the light captured within them and the final photo in the hall is stunning. Keep up the great work Sir!

• Thanks, PFC. I love that shot too. I specifically made it so that the golds at the top were saturated, and the darker colours at the bottom less vibrant. Anyone who ever goes to this place, the Savoia Palace in Turin, will see that there is so much flippin' gold in that building it beggars belief! So I made the photo exaggerate the reality of the room to make a point :)

• Haha you got me there 2Lt!

I like the second last one - the beach - seems very Turner-esque. I'm a more abstract photographer so mine tend to lack clarity (possibly also because they're all shot on an iphone "shoot with what you got, not what you want").

• Are we counting videography?

• Some stunning photos there SSgt.! Its all about using what you got, and modern phones are really cracking at taking a good pic. You use light really wonderfully to get creative effect! You should never let lack of clarity belie good composition, which you clearly have an innate understanding of! Especially the last picture, beautiful leading lines.

And yes, Warner. I've learned over time the differences between photography and videography are minimal. Both are simply the recording of light for a set amount of time. Videos just move.

• Talking of using light creatively. I took this one back in December.

Used the lights in the shop reflecting on the window to look like big jelly fish aliens :P

• Spooky UFO's

• Not a photographer, but those are some awesome photographs 2Lt. Boughen. and SSgt. Bergstrom.

• Thanks Lt. :D That's an awesome one with the reflections! Very cool stuff.

Here's some more :)

• edited April 2015

Seriously, SSgt., have you ever like, been to photography classes or read a book about composition? Because its not something people tend to just do :P And you do it really well!

But, yeah, so long as you have no intentions of blowing up pictures you take on your phone (they're just not hi-res enough to do that), you can get some great pics. Probably my favourite photo of me of all time (taken by the 29th's own PFC Marcoux [Ret.]), for example...

• Haha I grew up with a Director for a Dad and a Producer for a Mom. Citizen Kane when I was 10 and Blade Runner before that. You start to learn things.. :) I've done film school and did photography (old school in a dark room!) when I was a teenager. I think all my professors and teachers and such would still cringe seeing photos taken on a phone but hard to argue with convenience (and cost!).

Next time you're in Canada sir, I hope you head as far West as Toronto! Can't promise a sunrise but I can definitely vouch for a sunset and good park hangouts!

Cherry blossoms in High Park - Toronto

• edited April 2015

Ah, now that would explain. I'm lucky enough to also come from a family of photographers and film makers, and its just wears off on you over time! I was told that to become a good film maker, you need to watch a lot of films over and over. I always did haha :P

As for camera phones, I guess the thing I really DON'T like is the lack of control you have over the settings. With a phone, so much is up to the phone itself, it can be difficult to get the shot you want, if you're looking for something high end.

That said, the photographic bloom you've got off the cherry bloom is impressive and asks the viewer to keep looking! Not an easy effect to perform well.

But yeah, even simple effects like creating a shallow depth of field aren't possible, so any kind of portrait shot is ineffective. For example, in this photo, had I taken it on a phone, it would have been impossible to isolate the subject and create the effect.

Considered picking yourself up a cheap DSLR?

• Something I'd recommend investing in, if you're interested in taking higher quality photos, is some kind of editing program. There are many, and all have their advantages/disadvantages. Personally I used Adobe Lightroom, since the fact that Photoshop literally changes the pixels of your photo as you change them scares me. Lightroom is very powerful, and allows you to create more of a story with your photo by playing with the lighting, editing, and crop of your photo. This is better shown in pictures rather than said in words. First, the unedited photo (originally shot in RAW format ready for editing). Second, the edited photo. Far more depth, far more colours, far more effect.

• This is basically just a picture I took when I were in London for 5 days, and is probably the best picture I have taken ever, even with my Iphone 4.

• Best picture? Check out my Mount Vesuvius.

• Oh that's a nice one, though I really don't take alot of pictures.

• Here is a bit of higher-altitude "photography"

I can't carry a DSLR in a mountain trek so all my pics are taken with a phone. Anyway, I hope you like them!

• edited December 2015

Here are some macro shots (Using CHDK/CombineZP/Imagemagick/etc.) that I took for a friend who is into WH40K miniatures:

• Those are some great paint jobs

• One of the better pics I took with my phone
    Berlin Cathedral
    photo 748EC8BA-1A44-404E-ACFE-BB0F83E66AA6.jpg

• Here are a couple of mine from Praha

• Love that top one, Corporal! The contrast in the light is superb! Here are a few of my favourites from my time in Africa. :)

• Seriously, teach me master! I absolutely love them!

• Some pictures from my trip to the famous "Mont Ventoux" in southern France
    1) The Ventoux from "Gorge De La Nesque".
    2) Signs at "Chalet Reynard", the last stop until the final 6 Km to the top.
    3) The Ventoux from far away on the 140 km trip around it.

• You never know when a good photo opportunity arises.
    Spoopy House.

Never go on your adventures without your trusty dog.
    Introducing Griffle-San or "Grif" for short.