Omaha Beach, 70th Anniversary of D-Day

My wife told me that if I let her plan the wedding, I could plan the honeymoon. So, we went to Normandy (muhahaha), for the 70th anniversary of D-Day. We didn't get to Omaha until June 8th, simply because it was an insane mess of people and the country had blocked access off from, essentially, Pegasus Bridge - Carentan, where you needed valid passes to drive through that area. We spent the 6th at Merville and Pegasus, the 7th at Juno (we're Canadian), and hit Omaha on our way to Carentan on the 8th. Anyways, on the 6th of June a new statue was dedicated on the beach to the 29th. Photo gallery linked:

http://imgur.com/a/odmmh

Comments

• Some fantastic photos there! Thanks for sharing.

• You're lucky to spend a long time there! I only spent 1 day there, and got to see a lot of stuff, but I still would've preferred to stay longer, to get to explore all these towns and museums and everything! It's a shame, even though I live just under Normandy x) I have however, been to Oradour sur Glane, which is a town that wasn't renovated or anything after German occupation and extermination of the population. There are still bullet holes, car and buildings that haven't changed from what they were back when they occupied it. It's very interesting, and I live right next to it :)

• Bringing back memories from last summer, a fantastic time both in France, Belgium and the Netherlands visiting museums and locations regarding both World war one and World war two.