Star Wars Battlefront

DICE has been making a new Star Wars Battlefront if you were not aware, that is at one side good, but at the other side, not so good as we know they will ask allot of money for the game and it's DLC's. But here is a trailer they revealed at E3!

Comments

• edited June 2015

As a Star Wars fan and a Battlefront fan since the first game, I am awfully worried about how hard they're already trying to sell this. A lot of what was in there seems choreographed. But, here's hoping it does turn out to be worth the 60 dollars they're asking for, at least for the base game.

• They always create these heavily scripted trailers first time showing off the game, we probably will see normal mp gameplay soon, new video:

• I'm honestly super excited and will pick up the game. Kinda hoping its really good.

• I was a serious Battlefront hardcore fan but instead I've ended up keeping my distance from this game. I'll sit on the sidelines and wait on what the early consumers think before I jump on the bandwagon.

• Is there going to be a story campaign?

• I believe its MP only, with Co-op.

• No galactic conquest, no story, limited to 20v20. Wow my expectations were low but even this has surprised me.

• Wait there was a story in the previous parts? Also I'm wondering how many players the previous instaltments supported. But the removing of galactic conquest is really a let down (although its not like we play campaign mode in RO2, but I remember having lots of fun with galactic conquest, although I was young at the time and memories are old so....)

• Galactic Conquest, offline battles with AI support, all that made my battlefront experience and every now and then I will return to the first and second game. I understand this is a different interpretation, but like I've said to other people, its a sequel in name only. I'm still waiting for the real SWBF.

• I was under the understanding that there was supposed to be single player.

• edited June 2015

No campaign at least exhibit A

• Ah crap. May not be picking this one up then. Atleast till the price drops.

• What does it matter? You also don't buy Battlefield for its singleplayer, (Battlefront was hugely inspired by Battlefield) MP is where it lies for Battlefront. I can't even remember the single player for Battlefront 1 and 2 because it was just MP maps with incredibly dumb bots.

• I was under the understanding of a movie following campaign. And I was just looking forward to seeing how that would work the most. I'll pick it up for the MP for sure. But probably not till the price drops some.

• edited June 2015

I think its just that with AI, you had an experience that wasn't at all half bad. Yeah, the bots weren't the best, but they were far from being the worst at the time. When you introduce players to a game, you get the mixed experiences that either make a game great, or horrendous. Yes, SWBF is made to be a multiplayer game, but I think getting rid of its notable offline modes will hurt its replaybility and the community that backs it (Hence a lot of old fans apprehension for this game). PC gaming community can be good, but it can also be atrociously bad.

• Perhaps we're all hoping for a sequel to Star Wars Battlefront, instead we are getting a sequel to the original games we're getting a reskin of Battlefield 4 coughHardlinecough with some different game mechanics and a new setting.

• We don't get the Battlefront we want, we get the Battlefront we deserve.

• The only think i'm thinking is that does the game support mods? I think it will not. :(
    Mods where fun for BF and BF2.

• Okay I just talked about this with my roommate so I'm all worked up.

Here's my problems with Battlefront as I've seen it so far:
    DICE can't seem to think outside the movies - to the point of forgetting what happened in the movies. What I mean by this is they can't get away from the movies on seemingly any level. Battle of Hoth? Obviously you need a counter for Vader on Hoth, why not a post-Dagobah strength Luke (not only is he able to shove groups of men when the last time we saw him on Hoth he LITERALLY HAD TO FOCUS TO MOVE A TINY LIGHTSABER but he's wearing the same outfit HE WORE IN ROTJ)? Also - you're on Hoth and during the "Walker Assault" gameplay.. your AT-AT can call in an "orbital bombardment". WHAT? You mean the thing that the PLANETARY DEFENSE SHIELD is supposed to protect the planet from?! THE SHIELD POWERED BY THE GENERATOR YOU YOURSELF ARE SUPPOSED TO DESTROY. I mean that's just.. wow. This is the level of thought being put into this game?

enter image description here
    "The field is strong enough to deflect any bombardment."

Now okay, sure that's just the trailer.. maybe I'm overreacting. (Hey, it's the internet) Maybe it's just Hoth that is nonsensical and terrible (on second thought let's not go to Camelot for it is a silly place). What other 12 maps can we expect? As of release we know 2 of the 3 are from the movies (Endor and the aforementioned/raged Hoth) with the last being the as of yet unseen on the big screen Sullust. But I swear to Obi-wan .. if I see that the 12 maps are mostly movies related I'm gonna choke a Hutt.

There is absolutely no reason for us to be playing on Tatooine. None. It's a backwater that had nothing going on - hence Luke being bored and wanting to leave. The fact that Lucas, his brain long since withered and blown away decided to stage Episode 1 on Tatooine, should not be considered at this stage. Tatooine at the time of this game, should be the galactic equivalent of Napanee, Ontario. I mean that's just basic storyline. When the biggest excitement is going in to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters, you don't have a Team Death Match of Rebels and Imperials. Using maps from the movies is just being lazy and in my opinion doing a total disservice to the Star Wars Universe as a whole. Also if I see Naboo...

The booming metropolis of Mos Eisley

While on the subject of the ridiculous, the level of "ease of accessibility" is highly disconcerting from a replay value and skills progression perspective. Chances are if you're playing Star Wars Batllefront, or just like the Star Wars Universe, you've played some other Star Wars game. (my Star Wars gaming CV is long and distinguished). Yes I'm an ARMA guy, so having 18 different buttons and combos isn't something that shatters my brain. That being said.. if you're going to have X-Wings and TIE fighters you need to play X-Wing Alliance at the very least so you know what it's like in an Incom T-65b (XWing). Of course if you're going to have X-wings and TIEs it only makes sense to have space battles. Sure it's not promised in the release (or I believe any further in the mentioning of it) but it's Star Wars. I don't want those stars to merely be a backdrop to my terrestrial bound combat. I mean to use the Holy Trilogy, the opening of A New Hope took place in a Blockade Running boarding action (I'm not saying - hey let's play as Yoda defending Princess Leia's Corellian Corvette - sweet Frank Oz no) and it was pretty damn awesome. Plus shipboard combat doesn't need half the environmental effects you get on a planet map so from a mapmaking perspective it seems like that'd be easier as well..

Your ship here

Maps again. So the way EA has done their Battlefield DLC maps is bass ackward. It divides the community by making you pay for maps to play. This means your player base is split and servers running complete maplists are going to be kicking players who don't own the DLC. You are going to actively be booting your player base and thus preventing them from playing. Will this be rectified for Battlefront? Maps need to be for everyone and if you want DLC you make it customization character junk. Have a Bothan head for your character. Maybe a purely cosmetic bandoleer or gunslinger holster for your blaster. Will EA go this route for making more money from this title? Or will they instead hamstring the servers/player base? Alas I feel that is a pessimistically rhetorical question.

C-3PO: No, I don't think he likes you at all.
    [R2 beeps]
    C-3PO: No, I don't like you either

So that's my rant exhausted. I'm sure there will be more facts and developments as time passes and maybe (hopefully) some of my fears and concerns will be allayed. Likely I'll just pass on this one and wait for the next. One thing that is satisfying is the knowledge that the Star Wars IP is out of Lucas' hands and now we can see more variety and creative projects come to fruition (provided Disney isn't as tightly hamfisted). So though this likely won't be the Star Wars I want, it'll be a stepping stone to the one I do (a new X-Wing/Dark Forces esque shooter would be lovely thanks).

If you strike me down...

• edited June 2015

Aw SSgt. you're just missing the big picture, of course if you want the extended universe you will have to buy the Extended Universe DLC, space battles ? Space Battle DLC complete with one Tie-fighter, one X-wing and 1 extra map !! Wanna play pre-dagobah Luke ? Buy the Jedi Wardrobe DLC, with pre-dagobah Luke and pre-dagobah Darth Vader (?!). In my opnion this is just a console oriented battlefield/call of duty game ( where is my 64 vs 64 battle with big maps? this is 2015 we know you guys can), this is battlefield 4 scalled down to fit console gameplay with star wars textures, any decent modder could do it but they just want your money, stay away from this one guys.

• @SSgt. Bergstrom said:
    Tatooine at the time of this game, should be the galactic equivalent of Napanee, Ontario.

Woah, you're saying the home town of my role model isn't important!

I think this game may have a lot of the problems that the new trilogy will have. Disney just completely abandoned the EU, and the only canon is the movies. I Feel like this game will be the same way, Disney is too scared to make a movie that may appeal for more people than the 14 year old kids who watched Revenge of the Sith and thought it was movie of the century, and DICE is too scared to make a game that isn't a Battlefield clone.

• edited June 2015

I guess one positive we can give this horrid excuse for SWBF is that it looks pretty. Unfortunately that's enough for a lot of people to buy it. I'll just be here, hoping this game goes bust. Much like the first Death Star.

explosion

• but he's wearing the same outfit HE WORE IN ROTJ

They haven't created the right texture for Luke yet.

• At least we still have Star Wars Galax-

:(

• @PFC Junnila said:

Ah so he'll be dressed like he's pre-Dagobah but have the powers of post-ROTJ. Makes sense.

• @SSgt. Bergstrom said:
    I din't say that....

• @Cpl. Fritz said:
    I guess one positive we can give this horrid excuse for SWBF is that it looks pretty. Unfortunately that's enough for a lot of people to buy it. I'll just be here, hoping this game goes bust. Much like the first Death Star.

>

It won't, just like with the previous battlefield games that lost their touch since BF3 for me, people will continue to buy it, just because of the name, and many will buy Battlefront just for the name alone.

• @PFC Junnila said:

You mentioned that Skywalker hadn't textured yet, but that doesn't address the storyline issues that run deeper than the "skin". Haha. Basically my point is that if they do put Luke in Hoth appropriate clothing, will they also give him the appropriate Force powers that he would have at that point (i.e. wiggling a lightsaber in the snow and hallucinating)?

I imagine Cpl. Veld is correct and it'll succeed on console more than anything.

In a way Disney's love of money may be the re-vitalizing of the franchise though if they can sew their seeds far and seek to capitalize by saturating the market with Star Wars games for every genre. Third person sneaky game (Assassins Creed/Thief), space sim (Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen), FPS (RO2/DH/A3), and MOBA are all pretty booming markets if they can just drop a Star Wars brand item in there.. well I think we'd see the markets go towards the light.

IF however, they're content with issuing one or two games per year that are basic cash grabs.. well that would be unfortunate.

• Apparently it is not Hoth? It just looks like it?

• edited June 2015

AWWW YEEAAAAHHHHH ALPHA TESTER!