The Rocket League!

edited August 2015 in Other Games

enter image description here

Please reply here if you're interested in joining a Rocket League...league. You can also reply on behalf of non-29th friends, including PS4 players. The more the merrier! (The latest update allows PC and PS4 players to join the same password-protected private match.)

Right now we're just gauging interest, but hopefully we can see kickoff by the end of August.

The Rocket League Super League scoring system will be fairly straightforward: one point per win (there are no draws in Rocket League). At the end of the season, the top teams will enter a playoff/knockout tournament. Goal difference will be the tiebreaker if two teams finish with the same number of points. We want to know how many people are interested before deciding on team rosters, team sizes, the number of matches, etc.

The league is being organized by SSgt. Berg's stats-obsessed roommate Trv, who some of you know from Planetside 2 and Elite Dangerous. He also writes in the third-person. (this was all written by him)

Comments

• I was thinking about buying this game, so I'd be down if I decide to buy it.

• edited August 2015

Myself and two other friends have just got the game, and are so far loving it. We would all be interested in joining the Rocket League league.

• One more here.

• Picked this up today! If you're willing to carry me, I'm down to play lol.

• Excellent! We'll be posting more info soon once we get a total of competitors. STAY TUNED!

• This game's gone MLG!

• *facepalm*

I just don't understand the draw...

• @FSgt. Hill said:
    *facepalm*

I just don't understand the draw...

The draw is when both teams have the same score at the end of the round. Thus neither team wins and they "draw". :P

• GOOOOAAAAAALLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TrvTrv
    edited September 2015

RLSL UPDATE

Thanks everyone for your interest. This is a test run, so your patience is appreciated.

Edit: We now have 13 confirmations, meaning we can field 4 teams of 3. Let's aim for 15 players (5 teams). In my most optimistic fever dream we have 18 (6 teams). If we have 13, 14, 16, or 17 players, we'll use substitutions or bots. (We'll vote if it comes up.)

PLAYERS

• SSgt. Berg
    • Trv
    • Cpl. McDonald
    • friend of Cpl.McDonald #1
    • friend of Cpl.McDonald #2
    • Pvt. Scriz
    • PFC Stear
    • Lt. Col. Wheatley
    • Giruvagen
    • SSgt. Frank
    • TSgt. Balzer
    • Cpl. Rogers
    • T5 Zim

TEAMS

So far it looks like this:

• Unnamed team - Cpl. McDonald and two friends (full)
    • Unnamed team - Pvt. Scriz - (2 spots open)
    • Unnamed team - SSgt. Frank - (2 spots open)
    • Moon Palace - Trv (2 spots open)

Unless there's a riot, let's say our four "captains" are Cpl. McDonald, Pvt. Scriz, SSgt. Frank, and Trv. (Scriz/Frank/Trv have each logged over 60 hours on Berg's friends list, while everyone else averages 20 hours.) The non-captains can choose to join any team with an open spot. Or you can ask to be randomly assigned. I will put your name in a hat and have Berg act as witness.

I also assumed Cpl. McDonald would want to form a team with the two friends mentioned earlier.

If you want to know a bit about the three teams with open spots (based on goals and saves), Trv is mostly defensive, Pvt. Scriz is mostly offensive, and SSgt. Frank is a mix. My Moon Palace definitely needs attackers. SSgt. Frank and Pvt. Scriz are welcome to start a recruitment campaign in this thread, but I know they can play any role. (They're also welcome to pass their captaincy to someone else, once they have some teammates.)

Also, inspiration for team names can be found here.

SUPER LEAGUE FORMAT

The season is split between the league stage and the cup stage. We'll keep things short for the inaugural season, to see how it goes.

League stage: Each side plays a two-legged match against each other team (i.e. 2 back-to-back matches). Each win is worth one point, so winning both legs gives two points. Ranking on the league table is determined by points, with ties broken by goal difference (goal different = goals scored - goals conceded).

Cup stage: The below image shows the format for six teams. Seeds are determined by the league rank. Cup matches are best-of-three.

enter image description here

If the league features five sides, we'll skip "qualification round 1" and have 4th play 5th in "qualification round 2". With only four sides we'll start with the semi-finals (4th vs 1st, 2nd vs 3rd). The better you do in the league stage, the easier a time you should have making it to the finals.

I'm not expecting more than 18 players in our first season.

Number of matches, length, etc: Even with six teams, the whole season could be completed in two or three hours. (The absolute maximum number of matches any team will play is 22, if we have six teams.) We could play the league stage one night, and play the cup stage on another night. We can easily complete this season in a single month.

Schedule/matchmaking: September looks likely, and we can easily work around everyone's schedules thanks to how short the matches are. Considering the 29th's schedule, I'm thinking Wednesdays could be good. We can spread the league stage around, to accommodate schedules, but it'd be cool to play the whole cup stage in a single night. (We'll see.) When the time comes, I'll make schedules with easy passwords for the private matches. This allows everyone to find their lobby without messing around in teamspeak. (PS4 players might not even use teamspeak, although I recommend it if your team includes PC players.)

• edited August 2015

I'm definitely in, I'll buy Rocket League tomorrow when I get payed. Some beautiful penmanship right there!

• Of course I'm in, but first I must paint my belly, get drunk, start a fight in the stands, and blow on the ever triumphant vuvuzala!

• Thanks you two! We just need two more players to field 5 teams. There are at least three more people in the 29th (that I know of) with Rocket League who haven't expressed interest.

Team formation deadline: 10am EST, Tuesday, September 1st -- Anyone who hasn't joined a team will have their name written on an actual piece of paper, which will be put in an actual hat, which will be pulled out by an actual hand. Old school.

p.s. I'll get into the habit of using ranks on the forums.

• Yes! You're our 14th car. Surely we'll find a 15th person.

• i'm the fat kid in this one.

• Instead of buying Rocket League I bought some CS:GO skins so I could bet... Opps. I think I'll wait to buy rocket league until its on sale for more than 10%. Sorry boys.

• You made the rocket cars cry. Hopefully you'll join us for the second season or something.

Meanwhile, we're praying for player #14 and #15. Spread the word.

• You can throw me on any team. Just stoked to play

• TrvTrv
    edited August 2015

Allegedly T/5 Phariss is now addicted to Rocket League. Our 14th player? Maybe!

Anyway, nobody's come up with team names, so I've taken the liberty of naming the five founding teams of the Super League:

• Mars Rocket Club - Cpl. McDonald and two friends
    • Oort Cloud City - Pvt. Scriz (and two open spots)
    • Royal Jovian - Sgt. Frank (and two open spots)
    • Moon Palace - Trv (and two open spots)
    • Neo-Coventryshire - (three spots open)

You're welcome.

Names get drawn from a hat tomorrow.

PROPOSED 1ST MATCHDAY is the evening of Wednesday, September 9th. It'll be the first leg of the league stage, so each team will get to play four matches. If this is a bad day, we can make alternate arrangements on a team-by-team basis. After all, a match usually lasts 5 minutes. (The whole season can be finished in three matchdays: first leg of league, second leg of league, then the cup.)

• You can sign me up. One game and I'm set to play this

• TrvTrv
    edited September 2015

TEAM ASSIGNMENT DRAW

Witness: SSgt. Bergstrom

Instead of a hat we're using a bowl. Neo-Coventry draws first, because they have no players. The rest of the draw order is determined by drawing team names from the bowl.

Draw order:
    - Neo-Coventryshire
    - Oort Cloud City
    - Royal Jovian
    - Moon Palace
    - Neo-Coventryshire
    - Oort Cloud City
    - Royal Jovian
    - Moon Palace
    - Neo-Coventryshire

The player draw begins with Neo-Coventryshire drawing from a bowl of "balanced" played. For the purpose of the draw, these are the players with a combined goals and saves count of 50+ and a goals-to-saves ratio smaller than 4-to-1. (Cpl. McDonald, Pvt. Scriz, SSgt. Frank, and myself are in this category, but already assigned.) After drawing for Neo-Coventryshire, we mix the rest of the names into the bowl before continuing. At this point "AI bot" is included in the bowl, but I'm sure this position will be filled by a human player before kick-off.

The draw results, in order:
    - Cpl. Rogers
    - T/5 Zim
    - AI bot
    - Lt. Col. Wheatley
    - SSgt. Bergstrom
    - PFC Stear
    - Giruvagen
    - TSgt. Balzer
    - T/5 Phariss

THE FINAL TEAMS:

Mars Rocket Club
    - Cpl. McDonald
    - friend of Cpl. McDonald
    - friend of Cpl. McDonald

Oort Cloud City
    - Pvt. Scriz
    - T/5 Zim
    - PFC Stear

Royal Jovian
    - SSgt. Frank
    - TSgt. Conrad (joined after the draw)
    - Giruvagen

Moon Palace
    - Trv
    - Lt. Col. Wheatley
    - Cpl. Rogers

Neo-Coventryshire
    - TSgt. Balzer
    - SSgt. Bergstrom
    - T/5 Phariss

(NOTE: TSgt. Balzer and Cpl. Rogers were swapped after the draw, as both were in the "balanced" pool, but Neo-Coventryshire needed someone with more hours of playtime.)

• edited September 2015

Me enter image description here

Zim enter image description here

Stear? enter image description here

Edited cause Zim clearly is NOT the weird guy.

• If you're looking for someone to fill in that bot spot, I'll probably be playing Rocket League when you're doing your league anyways, so count me in.

• Why i'm the weird dude ? =(

• TrvTrv
    edited September 2015

Hooray! We have our 15th player! Welcome to Royal Jovian, TSgt. Conrad.

Special honours at the end of the season:
    Cosmic Super Car (most mvps)
    Golden Wheel (most goals)
    Golden Mirror (most assists)
    Golden Wings (most saves)

RULES & INFORMATION

(Most of this gibberish is just in case things go wrong.)

Captains: Neo-Coventryshire should decide among themselves (perhaps by most hours played?), but the others are Cpl. McDonald, Pvt. Scriz, Sgt. Frank, and Trv. "Captain" means whatever you want it to on the pitch, but for Super League business you're the point of contact.

When a match ends: We need proof of what happened, so everyone should take a screenshot of the stats/performance chart. We only need one copy, but it's safer if multiple players do it. (Or just have your captain do it.) Email screenshots to trevtrev-at-gmail (or message me on the forums). Moon Palace will also need to take screenshots. If no screenshot is provided for a match, and the two teams disagree on the scoreline/stats, the match is recorded as 3-0 in the winner's favour, with each member of the winning team getting 1 goal to their tally (but no assists or saves will be counted).

Scheduling problems: If a team cannot play on Wednesday, they can reschedule their matches with the other sides. It doesn't matter when the matches are played, as long as they happen before the next matchday. Also, teams can use substitutes instead of rescheduling.

Replacements/substitutions: Each team can use a maximum of one AI bot, but there is no limit to the size of a team's human roster. You can always bring in players from outside the league. But if you want to use a player from another Super League side, the following must apply during the league stage: 1) the first matchday is complete, and 2) their team is the furthest from yours in points, either up or down the table. In the cup stage, you can use anyone from an eliminated team. (Goals, etc, made by such players will be attributed to an AI bot on the roster. The first bot/sub to play in a match will be known as "Hollywood" in the records.)

Disconnection truce: If a player disconnects, their remaining teammates are responsible for spamming "OMG!" through quick chat (right and up on gamepad d-pads). Everyone must stop the ball and wait for the AI bot to arrive. "OMG!" can't be said when the ball's in your half. A team can only call a truce once in a match (even if used accidentally). If any player (or bot) scores during the truce they must allow a revenge goal against their team, and if this happens during overtime there will be a rematch.

Rematches: A rematch is required if an overtime disconnection truce is broken, or if there are ever two AI bots on the same team. If a team is winning when the original match is cancelled, they get an uninterrupted first touch when the rematch begins. Only one rematch is allowed. The rematch must be completed, and there are no disconnection truces during rematches.

Forfeits: Each forfeit counts as a 0-3 loss (for calculating goal difference). If the forfeit happens in the middle of a match, and the goal difference is already larger than 3, then that is the score used.

Disputes: Any sort of dispute (that can't be solved by friendly chit-chat) will be decided by player vote. (If the vote isn't held live during a matchday, then the vote is held on the forums and all Super League players must register their vote/abstention before any decision stands. "Abstain" is assumed if someone hasn't voted by the next matchday.) If the dispute is between two teams, the players on those teams cannot vote (this includes players who've substituted for them in the relevant or present season). If the dispute is within one team, no one within that team can vote (this also includes substitutes from the relevant or present season).

Rule additions/changes: Same as disputes. We all vote. We can't change rules in the middle of a season, but we can vote on rules for future seasons. (This is the first season, so it's a bit of a test run.)

I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything... Feel free to sign your own sponsorship deals and use money to lure players from other teams. Anarcho-capitalist future sports.

p.s. Thanks for your enthusiasm, everyone. This will be pretty fun. (Rocket League is always stupidly fun.)

• We have a couple days to discuss the schedule and rules, if people have concerns or ideas.

I also suggest teams get together and practice if they can. SSgt. Bergstrom suggests that each team use its own teamspeak channel. (Between the 29th and the Glorious Army, we can surely handle 15 players.)

This discussion has been closed.