Hey Everyone! Long Time!

Hey 29th Brothers and Sisters!

PFC Dunford here! Checking in and reassuring everyone that I will be making a return. In the mix of purchasing and reassembling a tower to connect up with my girlfriend's Samsung HDTV. I regret to inform my Able Company comrades that once I return, I will be requesting a transfer to Charlie Company as Arma3 has always had my interest at heart but I was never able to run it on my previous rig. I hope all are doing well in and out of game and I am very anxious to make the return to my post.

Salute

Comments

• Good to see you again PFC Dunford. Man this sure brings back some nostalgia! Where are the days where we played Day of Defeat...
    Great to hear your interest in Charlie Company as well, that means we'll propably see eachother on the field of honor soon.
    Best of luck mate!

• What a nice sounding fellow.

• What up Dunford! looking forward to seeing you back in the best damn unit ever!

• Anyone able to tell me what Motherboard, CPU & Tower would work best with the following parts so I can run Arma3...

• Corsair CX 500M Power Supply
    • Nvidia 770 GTX Graphics Card
    • BF4 Razer Keyboard
    • 8GB of Ram
    • Windows 8
  • edited January 2016

I would check to make sure that your power supply is enough if you are upgrading CPU and MB. Maybe bump it up to 700W. Everything else there is fine.

Intel Core i5-2300 or an i7
    DO NOT GET AN AMD CPU Arma multiplayer runs like crap on AMD CPUs. I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition and get average 25-30 frames and often as low as 12-14.

Arma 3 really (really) likes being on an SSD as well.

MB doesn't really matter it just needs to accept the appropriate CPU (I prefer ASUS MBs myself)
    Arma 3 System Requirements

• Can confirm AMD runs crap on Arma3.

Even with my GTX 980ti supporting it and having it run on multi cores, my FX-8320 3.50GHZ runs like a pug on a treadmill with 20-30FPS.

• edited January 2016

do you already have a mother board ?

If not i would suggest either going for ivy bridge (socket 1155 ) or skylake, this depends will you be overclocking at all ? if you want to overclock and have spare money go for haswell, if your not go for skylake ( socket 1151 ) dont bother with an i3 atleast get an i5, money to spare i7 is most preferable.

Mother boards are more or less personal taste; brand / price ect... I would not suggest going cheep on your mother board though due to crappy heat dispersion ( I my self purchased a crap mother board and have to water cool to keep the damn thing at an acceptable temp ) although take in to consideration the size of the motherboard, if your going to SLI got for E-ATX

CPU bench mark tests found below.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/39

• edited January 2016

@CW3 Hill said:
    Intel Core i5-2300 or an i7
    DO NOT GET AN AMD CPU Arma multiplayer runs like crap on AMD CPUs.

I'd have to disagree with you there Chief
    An Fx-8350 trade blows with an i5 6th edition in Arma. However, I'd recommend getting a lot of RAM because AMD CPUs do have problems with its page file method, which is bad for open world games

Also, avoid putting both the Arma and the mod folder on the same hard drive, you will get severe stutter every respawn/teleport/firefight/EI popping out of a corner

• For now I've re-enlisted and requested a Transfer to Baker Company for DH.

• edited February 2016

Your mileage may vary, but over the broad sense AMD CPUs are much worse than intel CPUs. this is just 1 example. Almost a 20 FPS difference in that test.

I have played Arma 3 on a Pentium anniversary edition and although it wasn't awesome, I got decent FPS most of the time, honestly not to big a difference over the i5-4460 that I have now.

Here is a PCPartPicker I threw together quickly. Not sure how much VRAM A3 uses, but I assume it uses more than 2GB so I put the 4GB GPU in there.

I ran Arma 3 on a R9 270, i5 4430 for a long time and got more than 30 FPS 80% of the time, the other time I was in a big city with a lot of people around, and this build would be similar in performance to that.

• Get back here Dunford. We miss you :)

• Good to hear again from you Dunford.

• If anyone has the patience. I could really use some help getting the mods set up and stuff for the time being until my new computer arrives next month. Few more paychecks and Ill have it on the way :) For the time being I have Arma3 installed and just need the right mods installed in order to play on the company server. WithSix is a pain in the arse though :/

• @PFC Stojcic will help you out, as it is his job within Medical Corps.