OFFICIAL Awesome Movie Thread

2»

Comments

• Blue Ruin (2013):
    "A mysterious outsider's quiet life is turned upside down when he returns to his childhood home to carry out an act of vengeance. Proving himself an amateur assassin, he winds up in a brutal fight to protect his estranged family."

Bit of a slow burner, but some great tension and moments of action.

Prisoners (2013):
    "When Keller Dover's daughter and her friend go missing, he takes matters into his own hands as the police pursue multiple leads and the pressure mounts. But just how far will this desperate father go to protect his family?"

Same kind of deal as Blue Ruin. Dark, intense, awesome.

• Hardcore Henry (2016)

I'm just out of the cinema at the time I write this, I really liked the movie, it's kinda special as it's shot in first person view, it's a thing we don't see everyday. The plot is pretty basic but the outcome isn't expected so it comes out as a decent storyline.
    The thing that makes it interesting is definitely the FP view that's thrilling.
    As a one-of-a-kind, it's imo a must-watch and maybe one the first of a new genre (who knows?).

The concept for the film came from the short videos Naishuller had directed for his band, Biting Elbows.

Here's the official trailer :
    https://youtu.be/96EChBYVFhU

And here's what the FP view looks like, it's one of the short videos the guy had directed for his band ;)
    https://youtu.be/QYm-dT24iRY

• edited June 2016

These two really freaked me up. After getting "mindblown" by Shutter Island, I was recommended to watch the following films.

The Jacket (2005)

Jacob´s Ladder (1990)

I´m not a fan of horror films, but these.... these really scared me. Oh man, they´re terrifying!

• @PFC Intxaurza
    Jacob's Ladder is actually available for free (legally) on Youtube! Ya know... if you wanna get freaked out again.

• edited June 2016

Actually The Paramount Vault on Youtube has a sweet listing of it's not so great movie offerings. There's a great collection of 80s ninja movies. One that I recommend is Revenge of the Ninja 1983 (I own this on DVD). Stupid fun and perfect for riffing with your friends.

• Yesterday and today I saw two films, first was

Burke and Hare, was a pretty funny film and I think deserve to watch

The second one was

In my opinion it started like a comedy(because is marked like that) untill you realize that a lot of people have almost the same thought and there you see that some people don't learned anything from the past

• One of the best I ever saw:

• If short films count:

Dennis (2009)

• If your into action movies then this is a movie for you

The Raid Redemption

• edited November 2016

La 317ème section

This superb movie, made by the French director (and war reporter, and Vietnam veteran) Pierre Schoendoerffer is truly astonishing, and I would recommend it to any war film buff. This, mon amis, c´est le vrai image de la Guerre d'Indochine.

Just picture BARs, the Vietnamese jungle, and a ex-Wehrmacht (or Waffen-SS) MSgt coping with a dozen vietnamese and a just-out of St. Cyr-officer, against a bloody Vietmihn column chasing them, lost behind the enemy lines. An hour and a half of frightening realism in black and white, which every BAR lover should see.

PS: It´s also en englais on Youtube...

• Withnail & I (1987)

Perhaps the best British black comedy film (and possibly even my favourite film of all time). Two unemployed, and unemployable, actors eke out a living in 1960s London. I think I can quote every line, it's very memorable although the British humour might be lost on some.

enter image description here

• YOU'RE FULL OF SCOTCH YOU SILLY TOOL

• Watched it last night. A fantastic film which I hope is showered in awards. That the director is Canadian (and making the new Blade Runner) gives me extra gigglefits. Music, editing, shot composition, acting (and I am not an Amy Adams fan) were superb. Yeah.. see it.

• An incredibly depressing film but a must watch.

• Tampopo: A Ramen Western

If you're a foodie and enjoy quirky Japanese flicks then I highly recommend this film. If you can watch it with a big bowl of ramen even better.

• edited December 2016

Pvt. Broom: An incredibly depressing film but a must watch.

Amen to that, great movie.

Léon ( The professional )

One of my favorite action movies and one of the few action movies to try and actually make you give a damn. Starring Jean Reno, a young Natalie Portman and of course Gary fuckin' Oldman as the villain.

Its about a sheltered French hit man called Léon, living in New York's Little Italy district. After that the family that lives next to his apartments gets hit by a couple a crooked DEA's, Léon ends up taking in a damaged teen kid named Mathilda. She ends up living with him, and after instant nagging becomes an apprentice of sorts to him. I don't want to spoil too much of it. Its great, story's very good for an action movie and the acting is up there.

• @Pvt. Broom said:

An incredibly depressing film but a must watch.

A film about a man who saves hundreds of people? I wouldn't say it's a happy film but definitely not depressing.

On another note I'd like to share with you La Haine:

La Haine (The Hate) - 1995.
    Film by: Mathieu Kassowitz
    Starring: Vincent Cassel, Saïd Taghmaoui and Hubert Koundé.

Synopsis: 24 hours in the lives of three young men in the French suburbs the day after a violent riot.

Jusqu'içi... Tout va bien.

I adored this film. It's amazing in the way it shows a part of France that is very unknown to the world. It shows how troubled these youth are and how hard the people of the 'banlieue' have it. A cinematic masterpiece, but disturbing.

• @Cpl. Lacey said:

I just feel it is depressing because of the atrocities it is depicting...
    Another great film that I think people must watch is Restrepo

• edited March 2017

unbroken

Hacksaw Ridge
    In my opinions quite decent films

And Monuments men

• @PFC Alan said:
    unbroken

Hacksaw Ridge
    In my opinions quite decent films

And Monuments men

Hacksaw Ridge was awesome. Monuments men was a little bit boring for me.

Never saw unbroken.

• Here's a good WW1 movie called Private Peaceful.

• @PFC Ixer you should watch Unbroken I am sure you would appreciate it

• And another film I love to watch thousands of times is

War Horse

• Just came out the theatre having watched Dunkirk. I most say that it probably is the best film I have seen. By writing this I am joining the choir of all the positive ratings it has gotten the last week,but that for the simple reason, that it is a film without many counter parts. All around it excels: the camera work is incredibly, sharp and accurately describing the story without being pretentious, but simplistic. The story is not trying to persuade the viewer, but portraying the catastrophe and succes that the evacuation was. It is simple and filled with fantastic shots giving the spectator time to process the many accidents and joys happening.

All in all the film shows a great lot of respect for the men whom fought and died during the German attempt to push them into the sea. There is many aspects of this film I haven't covered, so if you have watched it and wants to discuss it, come to me.

• edited July 2017

Control (2007)

Famed Dutch photographer Anton Corbijn's directorial magnum opus. Chronicles the rise and fall of Joy Division front man Ian Curtis amidst late 70s Manchester, must-watch for any fan of the band/man.

• 28 Days Later
    One of the best zombie movies ever made (IMO) and one I still love to watch again every now and then.

• War & Peace: - BBC One

It's a miniseries that I just finished watching. Quite enjoyed it. Pretty awesome costuming and definitely one of the better book adaptations I've seen. Good cinematography and the acting is pretty solid here and there. Jim Broadbent rocks it.

The war bits are well done too and I quite enjoyed their sweeping battle scenes.