Festung Europa

The sequel to Darkest Hour, if it ever is finished. The website is now just a link to the jackboot forums.

http://www.festungeuropagame.com/

Comments

• Seems they just released some footage of Raids. Granted this is very much all in development, it's good to see them working on this game.

• "Light needs to be rebuilt", well thats for sure. Other than the intense lighting I'm super happy to see some glimmer of life!

• Yeah, here's hoping to Jackboot games to stay true to their roots and getting this game made, whenever that may be.

• Looks like a J.J Abrams movie... too much light

• edited June 2015

Another video, seems like we'll have a free look ability. I wonder where they are going in terms of how the game will feel and play. Hoping they don't leave behind the "weight" feeling of DH.

• Holy moly!!! It lives!

• Looks good, but seeing its only just pre-alpha, this won't be done in another 2 years.

• The Festung Europa team just released a bunch of new information and some new images of buildings that will appear in Festung Europa: http://forums.jackbootgames.com/index.php?/topic/4188-production-bytes-2/

Some of the buildings in FE are directly modelled from those found in Darkest hour and they have some comparison images.

• Looks good. Glad to see Sgt. "Deadly Dad" Olsen, a 29th vet, in the comments section.

• Looks like things are cranking up

• Looks like they have some new character assets. Good to see they're keeping up with frequent updates over the past few months. I'm hoping this game will be worth the wait because the thought of punching into Normandy with some "next-gen" Graphics sounds awesome.

http://forums.jackbootgames.com/index.php?/topic/4194-production-bytes-3/

• Beat me to it! Yeah, I'm really excited to see where they are going with FE.

• Oooooh I like the looks of that.

• Here's hoping that they decide to do the tanking right. I'm still browbeating Theel & Co. over DH 6.0 to - at the very least - leave the throttle at its current value when you switch from the driver's seat, so your tank isn't a sitting duck when you are soloing.

• edited December 2015

@Sgt. Olson said:
    Here's hoping that they decide to do the tanking right. I'm still browbeating Theel & Co. over DH 6.0 to - at the very least - leave the throttle at its current value when you switch from the driver's seat, so your tank isn't a sitting duck when you are soloing.

Clearly we have different definitions of "right" in a game meant to capitalize on teamwork. Multicrewing in DH has always given you an edge and rightfully so. Sure it means someone has to be your driver, but that extra set of eyes helps a ton for spotting infantry and AT targets (then they can switch to hull gunner). Trust me when I say they got it right in that regard...

• @2Lt. Bergstrom said:
    Clearly we have different definitions of "right" in a game meant to capitalize on teamwork. Multicrewing in DH has always given you an edge and rightfully so. Sure it means someone has to be your driver, but that extra set of eyes helps a ton for spotting infantry and AT targets (then they can switch to hull gunner). Trust me when I say they got it right in that regard...

I don't disagree that team tanking gives you a serious advantage when you have a competent crew.

Therein lies the first rub. I long ago lost count of how many times I've had someone who was utterly clueless jump in my tank and do a 'tour of the town', then blame me when an AT potted us. Usually, any other player in the same vehicle doesn't have a mic and pays absolutely no attention to what you are saying. If you play on pretty much any day of the week and hop in a tank that someone else is already in, they will ask/demand that you get out of their tank. The fact is that almost nobody trusts anybody else to team-tank with them, and no wonder.

The second rub is that, when you are solo tanking, you are utterly crippled if you suddenly need to drive AND gun. When you are driving, you can't fire your gun, and vice versa. Even worse, there is no cruise control, so if you switch out of the driver's seat, your tank comes to a complete stop. There is NO way to be tactical at close range; both tanks tend to just sit there slugging it out until one blows up, unless one chooses to run away. I was the one that HQ originally chose to put together our tanking company, and I rarely tank in DH because it is so unrealistic when I don't have someone competent with me, and, as that happens less than once a month, I am completely out of practice when someone worth having with me even comes along! Now, when I want a realistic tanking experience, I turn to War Thunder's 'Simulation Mode'. There isn't the combined arms that I prefer, nor is it quite as realistic as I'd like, but it is FAR better than DH. Believe me, there are good reasons why there are literally millions of people playing WoT/WT/AW/etc., and only a handful tanking in DH.

• I suppose FEs armour and mechanics will be more tuned towards infantry support than anything else

• Jackboot Games have released a new Production Bytes with some really awesome new images (they look like real life!) and some info about what they've accomplished so far: http://forums.jackbootgames.com/index.php?/topic/4199-production-bytes-4/

Seems they've completed an entire map (a "port" of DH_Raids I believe?) and have added in some features like better lighting and bullet drop. Also show off a really sweet MG42. A few months ago I thought this game was dead but this looks pretty promising for the game's future in 2016 and beyond.

• Super! I'd guess they're aiming for a June 2017 launch...

I'd love to see this game blossom into something wonderful to give the 29th a new WW2 shooter to look forward too

• Can't wait for this!

• My god, It looks so beautiful

• Seems 2016 is the year for good games.

• edited June 2016

@PFC Jenkins said:
    Seems 2016 is the year for good games.

Nothing I've seen says anything about this being released in 2016. Particularly as this is "Pre-Alpha" and to go from Pre-Alpha to release in 6 months is insane even for a major studio let alone a group of unpaid developers.

I believe Sgt. Lamb is correct with his 2017 estimate (at the earliest). Best to temper your excitement for the road to release is long..

• I wonder if they are going to attempt for the Steam early access. Its usually good for small dev's since its an early boost to funds but, I have also seen it be a negative. Game looks great for its current state, 2017 release I can live with, a lot of other good games to bide my time :).

• @2Lt. Bergstrom said:
    I believe Sgt. Lamb is correct with his 2017 estimate (at the earliest). Best to temper your excitement for the road to release is long..

I was referring more to the fact that a lot of hopefully good games are being announced in 2016.

• This is a month old now but they did release an update to what they are working on in June of 2017 here.

http://forums.jackbootgames.com/index.php?/topic/4262-june-2017-status-report/

• Development is slow, real slow. I don't see this game emerging for another year or two. It's nice they haven't abandoned the project, but they still don't have much content to keep me interested for the time being.