What Drawing and 3D modeling softwear do you use?

I need to make a purchase for someone just getting in to Graphic design and they have no idea what route they are going to be going. Any ideas?

Comments

• I'm not an user myself but somehow I'm acquainted with a lot of aspiring architects and they all use this

• edited November 2016

Check Sketchup FSgt. for an entry level I think it's good. And the basic version is free for what I can tell.

http://www.sketchup.com/

• edited November 2016

Blender is a free 3D modeling software that is popular. You can download it through Steam actually. It can be used for modeling and animating. That would be excellent for her to get her feet wet and used to working in the 3D environment. In college she will likely use something like Maya or maybe 3D Studio Max.

Adobe Creative Cloud tends to be the standard for most creative software these days. They have gone to a subscription model for all their software (Photoshop, Illustrator, Animate, Premiere, etc.). So "leasing" them for a month or two to play around with the different software is relatively cheap. Students and teachers can "lease" all the apps for $15.99 right now (through Dec 5, $20 typically). That's an awesome deal actually.

• edited November 2016

It depends, 'traditional' graphic design and 3D modelling don't really overlap.

As Cpl. Warner suggested, Blender is a good starting point for amateurs pursuing 3D modelling and leads well towards progressing into industry standards like 3D Studio Max or Maya.

On the graphic design side of things the golden triangle tends to be the Adobe triad of: Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. Illustrator is for creating vector based graphic content whilst Photoshop is mostly for raster based image editing and manipulation, InDesign is a common tool used for designing posters, flyers, print media etc. and is what comes to mind when someone mentions 'graphic design' in the strictest sense. Usually a project will require the use of the three Adobe programs listed above in conjunction with each other (hence why they were bundled into the Adobe Creative Suite (CS) which is now superseded by Adobe Creative Cloud (CC)).

I don't, personally, use Autodesk products (e.g. AutoCAD) but they may be viable depending on the type of design work (e.g. technical) required.

• For 3D work I use Google SketchUp 8 personally, this got me through GCSE Product Design. for 2D modelling i go with 2D Design. This is all relatively simple stuff to get used to :) Hope that helps a bit