U.S. Army 29th Infantry Division, ATTN: AHRC-OP-S, 1 Reserve Way
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060

SUBJECT: Unqualified Resignation

1.I hereby tender my unqualified resignation as an Enlisted Soldier in the
United States Army under the provisions of Chapter 6, Section III,
AR 135-175.

2.I understand that if my resignation is accepted I am entitled to an
honorable separation and will be furnished an Honorable Discharge
Certificate. I understand that I cannot resign if I am a statutory obligor.

Signature
Edwin Butler
Name (Type or Print)
Staff Sergeant Platoon Sergeant Charlie Company, Second Platoon HQ
Rank Position Platoon/Squad
SSgt. Butler said:
It is with somber fingers I am finding myself having to write one of these again.

Due to changes in my schedule related to work, women, etc., I will no longer be able to properly fulfill my duties as the Platoon Sergeant of the esteemed CP2.

It's been a hell of a ride, riddled with ups and downs and peaks and valleys. Throughout it all though, I've always remained extremely proud of the men under me and was honored to be a part of a group of people as fine as this one. Together we produced great growth, perhaps not in numbers but in our skills and cohesion as a platoon, which made all the extra time, late nights, headaches and all the rest, completely worth it. Everything I did, I did for the boys.

It was my pleasure to know each and everyone of you, but I'd like to shout out a few people:

- Cpl. Hardy, if anyone needed proof that persistence is key, have a look at and a talk to this man. Not everyone has the minerals to come out of the ashes and redeem themselves, but you did.

- T/4 Burg, the Company would not be the same without you. Yours was a name I was very happy to see still kicking around when I first came back and I'm happy to say I've only got more good things in the memory bank with your name on it.

- SSgt. Halls, my partner in crime during my time in CP1, I couldn't have asked for a better person to be paired up with. Thanks for making those late nights a good time.

- T/4 Frank, an absolute unit if there ever was one and my go to guy for conversation marathons on Teamspeak. You're a good man, never forget.

- 2Lt. Kear, the man who got me back in after I had no thoughts about rejoining. A close friend and confidant, it was a great pleasure leading CP2 with him.

- Sgt. Christiansen, a man of great conscience (and decibels), your leadership helped bring CP2 up from one of our lows and I'm thankful for it.

- T/4 Ternby, the only man I know who manages to be a great NCO and a sweetheart, all at the same time. It was great having you around for a second time.

- Sgt. Stray, a real chobby and a true leader to his men. You made running CP2 a lot easier than it could have been and I thank you for it.

- PFC Kal, you're a good leader in the making and I'm sure your future in the 29th will hold great things. It was a pleasure to guide such a natural through SLT and I'm proud of the progress you've made.

- PFC Falenty, a true up and comer if there ever was. I'm sorry I won't be able to see your future in the 29th, but I'm sure it will be a bright one.

- PFC Ashton, a good lad and a solid PFC. CP2 will need you in the times ahead, you do you and that'll be just right.

- PFC Rodd, an absolute mensch and a killer, you're the only one I was worried about going up against in a fight. Always willing to do what's necessary and good for the platoon, you're a good lad. It was a pleasure.

I'm sure I'll bump into some of you from time to time, but until then, I'll see you around.

Ever Forward,
Edwin Butler
Reason for leaving
APPROVED
Approved/Disapproved
Commander Signature
25 August 2019
Date

Comments

• Ever forward Staff Sergeant!
    Thank you for your dedication, devotion and passion.
    You will be missed.
    Good luck with your future endeavors!

• It irks me that you and I didn't get off on the right foot when you rejoined the 29th but I am glad it did not stay that way and that I had the chance to learn from you and lead Squad One as their ASL. A chance I would not have gotten if it were not for your admirable penchant towards giving people second chances.

All I can do is thank you and hope to bump into you again in the near future.

You will be missed SSgt.

• Top bloke cheers for the top times and the feelings mutual I always hated going against you. Take care SSgt. :)

• This is certainly sad news, but best of luck!

• edited August 2019

Ever forward, SSgt. Thanks for your contributions and commitment to the unit and your men. You were truly a pleasure to go up against, and maintained a 29th standard like none other. Good luck and godspeed in your future endeavors!

• It sad to see you go but RL always comes first, good luck out there!

• Thank you for all the work you have done. Take care Staff!

• Ah well, it's a sad day indeed for CP2 but, life must go on. Thank you for your service and awesome drill scenarios, SSgt. Butler and also, good luck in IRL.

• Thank you for your voluntary time and effort in to CP2, and I wish you the best IRL Ssgt.

• Thank you for all your efforts in the platoon SSgt.! All the best to you.

• Thank you for your kind words SSgt. and thank you for your hard work and dedication to the platoon and the unit. It was a pleasure to be under your command. Goodbye and take care!

• edited August 2019

Sad to see you go, won't be the same without you :(

• You gave it your all SSgt. and sad to see you go.Thank you for all you did and your time and effort you poured into CP2 and the 29th in general. Hope to see you back once everything is sorted.

• Sometimes, in life unexpected things happen. For me, one of these things was seeing SSgt. Butler discharge. The man that set an example for me as an NCO. It's never gonna be the same without you. You were dedicated to leading CP2 as best you can, and I think it shows. Take care out there.

• Sad to see you go SSgt. Life comes first always. I thank you for all your dedication you put into this platoon. And thank you for helping me out. Take care and hope to see you return once you have sorted the situation. !!!

• Take care, SSgt. It was a great ride for you, and you have a lot of my respect. Enjoy the freedom now ;)

• Man, this really sucks. You've been my inspiration in the 29th ever since I joined the 29th and was put in AP3S1 with you as my ASL. You showed me how to lead with example and train your guys to be the best they could ever be and I don't think I would still be there if it wasn't for that. It's been so great having you back, but I hate that it came at a time when I haven't been able to join as many drills as I have in the past. I really hope to see you return some time in the near future again (you have to! :wink: )