Deep Rock Galactic

DEEP ROCK GALACTIC is a co-op-first sci-fi FPS featuring badass space Dwarves, 100% destructible environments, procedurally-generated caves, and endless hordes of alien monsters.

My friends and I have been playing it consistently for a few years now and it's gotten better and better. This is one of the shining examples of Early Access done right.

If you have 2-3 other friends (and you're in the 29th so there's really no excuse) then you could do far worse than get this game. It has a difficulty that ramps up as you get further into it. I STILL haven't played the higher hazard levels and have done a couple of handfuls of Deep Dives (end game content) and each one is incredibly challenging.

I've put 140 hours into this game and barely scratched the undersurface (little digging joke there). One of the gleeful things about it is the thoroughness they commit to the Dwarf motif. The home base (where you go between missions to spend your minerals and coin on upgrades and cosmetics) features a bar where you can drink and dance until you pass out - literally. You can wait for your consumerist comrades by kicking barrels into a hoop and making general mischief until the Admin yells at you to get back to work (we chose to name him Alan for no particular reason).

There are four classes:
Digger: Equipped with two massive drills for tunneling, a flamethrower and a semiautomatic pistol as standard.
Scout: An assault rifle, double barreled boomstick, flare gun and grappling hook launcher (Batman style - only scout can use it)
Gunner: A giant gatling gun, hand cannon of a revolver and a grappling line launcher that can be used by other players. Also has a small shield bubble generator
Engineer: A semi automatic shotgun, a 40mm grenade launcher and a placeable turret, plus a foam platform launcher to make jumping between (and jumping down onto) surfaces safe

You can see how these classes interplay together and there are so many opportunities for creative use in hostile combat environments.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly (for laughs) is the Salute button (V by default) which once you get it and start using it, you will want in every... other....game... forever. When you have a beer mug in your hand it even gives you an assortment of "cheers" voice lines.

Seriously for $35 CDN or whatever your regional currency, I don't think you can do better tbh.

Comments

• This is one of the funnest games to play with friends right now. There's no real reason to skip out on this if you're looking for a coop experience.

It's also good for practicing callouts, since no cave is exactly the same.

You can also upgrade your weapons to fit a certain playstyle, such as building the combat shotgun for rate of fire or capacity.

• Rock and Stone Lt.