Off Topic Thread

Quote from Ltn. Col. Wilson:
"For those of you who do not know, this thread has no topic. Talk about whatever you want; just try not to stay on topic."

Comments

• Has anyone noticed that is really cold.

• Not in Brazil, way to hot down south :P

• I lived in Narnia once. . . .

• Why does it say PFC Fritz, rank here. Even if that worked wouldn't it be "PFC Fritz, PFC." I guess that's pretty on topic for this thread though.

• Happy New years folks !

Wishing you all lots of Bacon for 2015

• Super PFC with bacon shooting machine guns!

• edited January 2015

is there any way that i can forward my mailbox on here to my gmail account?

Edit
    nvm... figured it out, its in the profile settings.

• New Year, New Me.

• New years at my friend's party at his aunts house I was walking up the stairs to go out to the fire escape to get some air and when i came back in i forgot there was 3 stairs there:

off in the distance i hear Pete coming around to check on me only to find me laughing hysterically and stopping momentarily to say ow. He comes over and giggles a bit to himself and helps me to my feet. at this point my shoulder is messed up quite a bit. where from i proceeded for the next few hours every once in a while stating "for the shorties" a quote from aqua teen hunger force. so I have learned that i should not forget to stair.

• @PFC Noye I imagine you were completely sober throughout this ;)
  • @PFC Noye I imagine you were completely sober throughout this ;)

<br><div><br></div><div>no idea why you wouldnt think that at all</div>
  • 4 June 1745 - The Battle of Hohenfriedberg is fought.

enter image description here
    Today marks the 270th anniversary of the Prussian king Frederick the Great’s most celebrated victory. In modern-day Dobromierz, Poland, the Prussian army under the King himself successfully fought a combined Austro-Saxon army under the Austrian Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine and the Johann Adolf II, Duke of Saxe-Weissenfels.

At the Battle of Mollwitz 4 years prior, Austria had lost the rich province of Silesia, in modern-day Poland, to the Prussians. Seeking to regain the territory, famed for its industrial and mining potential, the Austrian army of about 62,500 marched, with its Saxon allies, into the province with Prince Charles at its head.

Hans Joachim von Zieten, commanding the famous Zieten Hussars, shadowed the Austrian army and kept Frederick II informed of their movements. Counting on Charles to enter Silesia via the Riesengebirge mountains that separated Bohemia from Silesia, Frederick intended to crush him with a swift and decisive blow. When the time finally came in early June, Frederick saw his opportunity to attack.

Having crossed the Riesengebirge, Charles marched 50km northeast towards Striegau (modern-day Strzegom) where the Austrians made camp, their Saxon allies further northwest at Pilgrimshain. The Austrians spread themselves to the west and south of the small village of Hohenfriedberg, their front covered by the Striegau River. With this information coming to Frederick from his scouts, the king decided to march in front of the Austrians; crossing the Striegau by a bridge to the northwest to attack the Saxons before engaging the Austrians from the east. Moving by nightfall, the Prussian army marched with General Richard de Moulin at its head. To maximise the element of surprise, Frederick left his camp with fires still burning and tents pitched, and forbade his army from talking or smoking during their march.

Upon reaching the bridge over the Striegau, Frederick’s army was bottlenecked as there wasn’t enough space for the entire army to cross. As a result, only limited forces were able to make it over. Nevertheless, the Prussian vanguard soon took their first objective; two small hills ahead of the enemy line fortified by the Saxons the day prior. Although the attack was successful, it also alerted the Saxons to their presence and thus prevented Frederick’s planned surprise. General de Moulin decided to march directly on the Saxon camp before they could deploy against him, and the few units that did manage to leave camp were quickly routed, with the rest of the encamped Saxon army falling soon after to the Prussian infantry. By the first dawn’s light, the entire left flank of the enemy army had been destroyed.

The Austrians, now alerted to the Prussian attack, left the protection of their camp and took positions. The portion of the Prussian army that hadn’t made it over the Striegau wheeled westward to face them, fording the river. The Austrian cavalry, first to deploy, was soon routed by the Prussian cavalry, while the infantry formed two lines facing eastward to meet the oncoming Prussians. While they were outnumbered, the Austrians fought staunchly and exchanged many volleys at close range - and at this point, the Bayreuth Cavalry, an oversized unit of about 1,500 men, saw on opportunity. A gust of wind blew the smoke away to reveal a small gap in the Austrian line, through which the intrepid dragoons charged. Routing the entire front line, the Bayreuth dragoons prompty charged the second, overrunning twenty battalions, taking 2,500 prisoners, capturing 67 flags and standards, and four cannon in what is considered one of the finest cavalry charges in military history.

The Austrians and Saxons lost almost 9,000 killed and wounded, about 5,000 prisoners, including four generals, and 66 guns. The Prussians lost around 5,000. After this decisive victory, Frederick II of Prussia was soon celebrated as Frederick the Great, writing with delight that “there has not been so decisive a victory since Blenheim.”

• enter image description here
    Lt. Col. Charles Carpenter, aka Bazooka Charlie, (1913 – 1966) was a U.S. Army officer and army observation pilot who served in World War II. He is best remembered for destroying several enemy armored vehicles in his bazooka-equipped L-4 Grasshopper light observation aircraft.

Carpenter joined the Army in 1942. After completing flight training and receiving his artillery liaison wings, Carpenter flew light observation aircraft such as the L-4 Grasshopper (Piper Cub) and the Stinson L-5 Sentinel.

Upon arriving in France in 1944, Carpenter was assigned an L-4 for artillery support and reconnaissance missions. With a 150-pound pilot and no radio aboard, the L-4H had a combined cargo and passenger weight capacity of approximately 232 pounds.

Inspired by other L-4 pilots who had installed bazookas as anti-tank armament on their planes, Carpenter added bazooka launchers to his plane as well.

Within a few weeks, Carpenter was credited with knocking out a German armored car and four tanks. Carpenter's plane was known as "Rosie the Rocketeer", and his exploits were soon featured in numerous press accounts, including Stars and Stripes, the Associated Press, Popular Science, the New York Sun, and Liberty Magazine. Carpenter once told a reporter that his idea of fighting a war was to "attack, attack and then attack again."

After destroying his fifth enemy tank, Carpenter told a Stars and Stripes correspondent that the "word must be getting around to watch out for Cubs with bazookas on them. Every time I show up now they shoot with everything they have. They never used to bother Cubs. Bazookas must be bothering them a bit."

By war's end, Major Carpenter had destroyed or immobilized several German armored cars and tanks (he would be officially credited with six tanks destroyed). He was awarded several medals for his actions.

• I read somewhere that Lt. Col. Carpenter actually only weighed 140 pounds, but his brass testicles added 10 pounds.

• Raids confirmed as first map for Festung Europa.

• @SSgt. Bergstrom The write up on der Alte Fritz was marvelous!

• @SSgt. Bergstrom @Cpl. Fritz It spurred on the creation of a good tune too!

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig
    und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner!
    Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!

• In most countries grandad keeps old paint tins and tools in the cellar.

In Germany however

• Just something I like to do when bored and unlike most other poker players I know, I'm not going to claim that I win every time I play. This was $40/80 Limit Hold'em.

• edited August 2015

A long long time ago in 2008 I found this in the internet. It's changed a lot since then. It's been my secret, my curse. I share it with you now. (WARNING: ADULT LANGUAGE AND CONTAINS IMAGES OF EXTREME BUG ON BUG VIOLENCE)
    http://www.japanesebugfights.com/

• (IN NO WAY FACT-CHECKED)
    Butterflies are lacryphagous, meaning they drink the tears of animals, to gain necessary minerals. Turtles are very stationary, so they are commonly targeted. After hundreds of years of repeated harassment from the butterfly community, modern turtles begin to adapt the practice of leaving urine on their face to trick butterflies into drinking their pee. Researchers from the NYU department of turtle study reported a drop in butterfly and turtle interaction by a staggering 87%.

• On this day in 1973 Pinochet came into power in Chile
    photo Augusto_Pinochet_-_1995.jpg

• Well remembered Thomas, an oft overlooked period in troubled American history.

• Yeah my professor emailed and asked us to make a list of US-sanctioned coup d'etats for our Political Science class
    Thank you, SSgt.

• Sgt. Stubby, the coolest dog during WW1

He was the official mascot of the 102nd Infantry, assigned to the 26th (Yankee) Division. Stubby served for 18 months and participated in seventeen battles on the Western Front. He saved his regiment from surprise mustard gas attacks, found and comforted the wounded, and once caught a German soldier by the seat of his pants, holding him there until American soldiers found him. Back home his exploits were front page news of every major newspaper

Stubby was found wandering the grounds of Yale University campus in New Haven, Connecticut in July 1917 while members of the 102nd Infantry were training. The dog hung around as the men drilled and one soldier, Corporal Robert Conroy, developed a fondness for the dog. When it came time for the outfit to ship out, Conroy hid Stubby on board the troop ship. As they were getting off the ship in France, he hid Stubby under his overcoat without detection. Upon discovery by Conroy's commanding officer, Stubby saluted him as he had been trained to in camp, and the commanding officer allowed the dog to stay on board.

In his first year of battle Stubby was injured by mustard gas, after he recovered, he returned with a specially designed gas mask to protect him. Also, he learned to warn his unit of poison gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in no man's land, and — since he could hear the whine of incoming artillery shells before humans could — became very adept at letting his unit know when to duck for cover. He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne. Due to his capture of the enemy spy, the commander of the 102 Infantry nominated Stubby for the rank of sergeant. He was later injured in the chest and leg by a grenade. At the end of the war, Robert Conroy smuggled Stubby home

• Just thought of stopping by and saying "Hey, what you lads up to these days?".

Cheers,
    Cpl. Solarov

• The Holiday background in personal is pretty sweet!

• Happy new years guys!

• Locked myself out of my band's practice studio, great.